Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:20:31 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Devin Butterfield <dbutter@wireless.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: devtools 6.1

Devin Butterfield wrote:

> 1. Is devtools-6.1 going to be the same set of packages as devtools-6.0,
> but the newer versions of those packages? In other words, what if
> anything will be different (aside from package versions) between the 6.0
> and 6.1 devtools?

Yes, devtools-6.1 will be based on the same set of packages, unless
someone can give me a good reason to not do that of course :-)

> 2. Would it be safe to manually upgrade the packages that were installed
> by devtools-6.0, or would I break something?

It's safe in principle, because that's how you would upgrade a RH
machine. Just keep in mind that linux_base imstalls rpm-3.0.x and our
ports collection has rpm-2.5.x and the database formats differ. rpm-3
automaticly converts rpm-2 databases, so that when you've used rpm-3,
you cannot use rpm-2 anymore.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/