Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:50:40 -0600
From:      Chip Morton <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: jive (was RE: was this really necessary?)

Paul, I personally have to thank you for this bit of history.  While I
certainly had the feeling that the authors of this program were engaging in
the worst kind of racial stereotyping, I couldn't manage to quite find any
proof until I had the references to the Legion of Doom and Masters of
Deception.  They produced the following excerpts in my searches:

Using the jive program is the electronic equivalent of appearing in
blackface - a crude, minstrel show in cyberspace: "Some nigga' name
Co'rupt, havin' been real active befo'e, duzn't gots' some so'kin' computa'
anymo'e and so ... sheeit, duh."
(at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/2.12/hacker_pr.html)

Jive turns regular English into "the electronic equivalent of blackface" --
replete with uses of the word "nigger" and phrases like "slap mah 'fro."
(at http://www.kkc.net/eyenet/1995/net0817.htm)

So I think we can pretty much kill the pseudo-ignorant "Oh it wasn't poking
fun at anybody specifically" attitude.

--Chip Morton