Date:      Sat, 02 May 1998 00:24:35 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        djv@bedford.net
Cc:        fpawlak@execpc.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus LINUX

On Fri, 1 May 1998 12:58:59 -0400 (EDT), CyberPeasant
<djv@bedford.net> wrote:

>> Take of poll of all ISP's running either of the two, and I think
>> you'll find that the vast majority prefer FreeBSD instead of Linux.
>> My statement stands.  "Amateurs like Linux, but professionals prefer
>> FreeBSD."

>I think it should be added, there's nothing wrong about being an
>amateur.

Right.  I was not intending to denigrate amateurs or Linux.

I started with Linux but moved on to FreeBSD when I realized Linux
performed poorly when heavily loaded with concurrent disk, network,
and serial I/O.

Linux is a good as a UNIX learning tool and a place for newbies to
start.  If they cut their teeth on Linux, we won't be inundated by a
horde of newbies who know next to nothing about UNIX.