Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:37:53 +0000
From:      John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   64 bit ARM systems with more than four cores

I have a quad core 64 bit ARM system (SoftIron Overdrive 1000).  I am wonde=
ring what faster 64 bit ARM systems exist and which of them work, or almost=
 work, with FreeBSD.

Excluding 4 core and below systems regardless of performance, and also excl=
uding cloud-only hardware, I made the list below.  Did I miss anything or i=
naccurately describe support?

Two RK3399 based systems, 2 A-72 + 4 A-53: RockPro64 (http://www.pine64.com=
/) and ROCK Pi 4 (http://radxa.com).  I can't use the RockPro64 due to the =
1.5 MBps serial port.  Apparently it works or almost works with some specia=
l handling if your serial interface can count to 1,500,000.  The ROCK Pi 4 =
is in crochet so it must work... right?  Does it have a reasonable console =
port bit rate?

SoftIron Overdrive 3000, 8 A-53 cores.  No longer available.

One LX2160A based system, 16 A-72 cores: HoneyComb LX2K (https://www.solid-=
run.com/nxp-lx2160a-family/honeycomb-workstation/).  I see relevant files i=
n sys/gnu/dts/arm64/freescale but nothing outside of these files imported f=
rom Linux.  It's not mentioned on https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64.  My guess=
 is that means FreeBSD does not run.  Is it a little job or a big one?

SC2A11, 24 A-53 cores at 1 GHz: SynQuacer (https://www.96boards.org/product=
/developerbox/).  I don't see any evidence of  SC2A11 support in the kernel=
 tree or on https://wiki.freebsd.org/arm64.  My guess is that means FreeBSD=
 does not run.

ThunderX in various forms, rack mount or workstation.  Nice specs and appar=
ently supported but the two American system builders don't seem interested =
in selling me one.

ThunderX2.  Great specs and apparently mostly supported but rather expensiv=
e..

(Honorable mention to Banana PI M3 with 8 cores, but 32 bits only.)=