Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:13:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux and network cards

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, David Kelly wrote:

:Interesting that he happily downloaded somebody's utility and inserted
:it in his system config to smack a NIC into half duplex. Apparently
:something the Linux driver didn't have a syscall for, or something the
:Linux ifconfig didn't support.

I'm pretty sure there are some FreeBSD drivers that don't suport this, either.
That may have changed, though.

:I am not a kernel programmer but way back in 1996 my version 0.0 21040
:started having problems with FreeBSD when autosensing was being added to
:the de driver. So that's the last time I spent much time really reading
:that code. My impression was the difficulty was in figuring out *how* to
:set the duplex mode on the media interface on cards of different
:manufacture. The card doesn't set the mode, the driver has to tell it
:what to do.

Auto-sensing is hard, too.  There's lots of hardware that doesn't do the
right thing.

:> B) Linux is brain-dead and can't configure this with ifconfig or
:>    whatever their equivalent command.
:
:That seems to be half of it. This article triggered waves of memories of
:trying to use Linux in 1995. Trial and error and compromise for the
:right set of kernel patches.

Yeah.  The Feng-Shui of Linux config-management is still a pain.

David
--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.