Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:01:44 -0800
From:      Andre Gironda <andre@sun4c.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP with firewall rules

export/setenv http_proxy!  of course, you have to find all of
the distfiles manually, since only about 4% of them have an
http site to download the source from.  it works though,
but i doubt it's what you are looking for.  i had to do this
behind a firewall/proxy architecture that did not allow ftp.

why not try fwtk or socks5 or something else?

i do kind of agree though.  I like the options in freebsd to
install via http_proxy, but i don't think there's an option
for ftp_proxy.  it all works really well, it just doesn't
flow.  i guess better integration between ftp and sysinstall
and ports would be nice.

also, all these different security models for downloading
are interesting.. but what really are the differences?  i
guess it's just better to support everything than have only
one simple way of getting freebsd, freebsd source, and/or ports.

dre

--
This program has been brought to you by the language C and the number F.