Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 01:08:04 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-developers@freebsd.org, freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal to include iconv library in the base system.

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 06:21:58PM +0100, Konstantin Chuguev scribbled:
| > > Exactly, this is what was intended. All [UNIX] charsets supported in the
| > > FreeBSD distribution (i.e. which are present in the locale directory) PLUS
| > > charsets used in other types of filesystems (Windows, Netware?, MacOS?) for
| > Currently we support Windows and ISO 9660 for CDs, so PLUS Windows
| > (Unicode) and ISO 9660 charsets.
| > 1) KOI8-R <-> CP866 for MSDOS FS
| > 2) KOI8-R <-> Unicode for Windows FS
| What about Windows < 95? I'm sure people used localized file names there too.
| And it was not Unicode.

Yes, many such charsets exist, such as zh_TW.Big5 and ja_JP.JIS.

| > 3) We also need ISO 9660 conversion scheme, but I not know about
| > character set used there.
| Can anybody please give me a reference to ISO 9660 specification. I would also
| like to know which IBM charsets are used in MSDOS FS for languages other than
| Russian (and supported in FreeBSD).

Please look into MS's Joliet CDROM format and the Rockridge ISO9660
extensions.

IBM Charsets are rarely used.  They are not used for CJK AFAIK.
And the European languages each have their respective charsets.
Also, please try to find the O'Reilly CJKV book that explains
I18N rather well.

I also strongly propose that iconv be included in the base system
by default.  Too many current works in progress depends on iconv
support.  For example, Boris' SMBFS and my UNICODE FFS all depends
on the iconv support to run.  One really does not want to have
src/sys kernel code depending on /usr/local/xxxx/iconv. :)

Finally, in regards to iconv not being able to be used with
statically linked binaries, I think -CURRENT can take a small
inability for a while until we find a way to deal with this.
After all, we really need iconv to further any progress of I18N
in FreeBSD.  Once we have ICONV, we will be able to do much more
in FreeBSD-I18N.  Hence, as a person trying to help in freebsd-i18n,
I request please consider stop maintaining the iconv port and
make it a part of the base system, IMHO. :)

P.S.#1: I am not subscribed to -developers, please cc me.
P.S.#2: Does anyone know if Linux has a counterpart of ICONV?
        Perhaps we should propose a standard.

Thanks for your efforts and time, I do appreciate it very much.
And I think many people appreciate it too.

Michael