Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:53:57 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        cups@easysw.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CUPS] Re'nice'ing all filters

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 08:22:45PM +0200, Philipp Lehman wrote:
>I'd like to run all filters with a lower scheduling priority. Is there a way
>to do that in mime.convs or do I have to write wrappers for all the filters?
>I tried putting something like
>
>[...]   nice /full/path/to/pstoraster
>
>as a filter in mime.convs, but that doesn't seem to work. Am I missing
>something or does cups simply not accept a complete command line in
>mime.convs?

I guess that would depend on whether it does an exec() call or a
system() library call.

And you only need to write one wrapper, and symlink the name of the real
program to it.

call this proxy-filter:
#!/bin/sh
exec nice $0.bin

where, e.g., you've done 'mv pstops pstops.bin'.

then, ln -s proxy-filter pstops and so on.
--
AlanE
KDE-FreeBSD Team