Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 00:20:59 -0500
From:      "Craig Booth" <craigbooth@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 and Linksys Install Issues on ver 4.9

I am a veteran Win pro who is experiencing rookie pains with installing
FreeBSD.

Two issues:

Issue 1:  I have set up my Sony VAIO PCG-FRV27 laptop as a dual boot machine
between Win XP Pro and FreeBSD.  I am using a Linksys Wireless card
connecting through a Linksys router.  My install successfully enabled and
used the wireless card and router to install directly from the FreeBSD ftp
site (after CD boot) and completed with no errors (except for Xfree to be
discussed later.)  Even though my rc.conf file is verified as setup with
"DHCP" and the pccard enabled, and even though the startup processes appear
to find and enable the card ok, I can't connect back to the ftp site to
download more stuff unless I use the CD to restart the install over the ftp
site again.  I have read where this can sometimes happen with dual boot
machines when the other OS doesn't properly release the card, but I have
tried unplugging the machine, removing and putting back both the card and
the laptop battery before rebooting, and it still doesn't work.  I am
getting the [Null] [Null] message after the Linksys Card Found message
during startup, as my earlier reading about the problem discussed, but
nothing seems to change that, until I reinstall FreeBSD from the CD (which
I'm obviously not going to do everytime I want to use FreeBSD!)  Two things
I notice when I go to set up the media in SYSINSTALL.  The gateway address
(192.168.2.1) and the DHCP assigned address (range starting with
192.168.2.2), both present when booting from the CD, are missing from the
DHCP config screen that comes up just before SYSINSTALL attempts to connect
to the ftp site, though the connection attempt still fails if I enter them
back in manually before trying to connect.  Also, a message comes up before
that which says something about being in multiuser mode, do you want to
assume network settings are already correct?  (or something like that)  This
message is not present when booting from the CD.

Issue 2:  Xfree86 goes through the entire install, then says it failed and
do I want to try again.  I exited SYSINSTALL and ran the config option on
XFree86, finding out that the generated log shows that its erroring out on
the Monitor/Video Card initialization.  I can't find a monitor in the
database that matches my ATI Radion IGP345M PCI monitor, and none of the
display settings specifically match my 800/600 60 hz + 1028/768 60 hz
setting.  Close, but no cigar.

Any thoughts on these issues?