Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:26:57 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk-fbsd@mnet-mail.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linuxulator blues -- need guidance or tutor for hacking

Quoting "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk-fbsd@mnet-mail.de> (from Wed, 26 =20
Apr 2006 23:15:50 +0200):

> Hi,
>
> I am recently having severe trouble using FreeBSD as a viable platform
> for work.  I need access so some commercial software that is only
> available for Linux, not FreeBSD.  Some of it worked earlier on, but new
> versions all *don't* work.  And I need them for work :-(
>
> Soooo... I think I will try to find some spare time (besides kids) and
> try my skills at hacking to make stuff work.  But I'm not a kernel
> hacker by any means, so I need a helping hand.  And I also can't make
> promises as to how much time I will find.  If it doesn't work out in the
> end, I might have to swap FreeBSD for some Linux distro, as much as I
> would hate that idea.
>
> So is anybody out there that would be willing to help me fix the
> linuxulator to a point where it works for me again?

The Google Summer of Code is starting soon. And updating the =20
linuxolator is one topic where pre-poposal communication has already =20
started with someone who already knows a little bit about the =20
linuxolator. So I strongly assume there will be a student working on =20
this as a SoC project.

[Failing applications]

Would you be willing to test his patches this summer? They may panic =20
your box, screw your filesystem or do some other nasty things to your =20
machine in the worst case...

> Anyone to help me with these? Anyone that I at least can send emails to
> when I get stuck with hacking or simply run out of ideas what I might
> try next?

We don't have an active linuxolator guru ATM. If you don't want to =20
rely on the SoC project, the only solution is to just start and ask =20
around in case you're stuck. You may or may not get an answer (someone =20
may or may not know the answer).

BTW: we're in the process of updating the default linux base port to a =20
newer one (we're waiting for 6.1 release, since the ports tree is =20
still not completely open for sweeping commits). So at the end of the =20
summer the linuxolator will provide a different experience than it =20
provides currently.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20