Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl

 * First beta is out.  There's a port, too, not yet committed.

If it follows the rules, please commit it by all means.  Don't forget
the "default" target in the Makefile (see tk41, I'm not sure why it's
missing in tk42, it should be there without a dependency from
"post-install").  That way a user who wants it to be the default can
do so by just typing "make default".

 * 								I just don't
 * see the necessity of making all the different versions live together.  I
 * can't imagine the necessity.

Have you tried building all the packages? ;)  The problem is not tcl/tk
themselves, but the ports that depend on them.  If you have ports
arbitrarily overwriting files for other ports, it will be impossible
to maintain our package collection.

Also, the main reason for this was to ease the transition from one
version to another.  Maybe for a hacker like you it doesn't matter,
but for users who don't know how to hack ports to use whatever version
they have, this is the only way to get ports that require different
base tcl/tk to peacefully coexist.

Listen, we've gone through this before.  I don't want to sound harsh,
but unless you come up with a method to make the package build process
manageable, there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Satoshi