Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 07:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        Barry Irwin <bvi@itouchlabs.com>, FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Good dual port NICs?

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Kal Torak wrote:

> Barry Irwin wrote:
> > Not Dual port, but I have been using the quad port dlink 570-TX cards for
> > quite a while with no hastles.
>
> I think I looked at that card before..
>
> Its 4 ports count as "one" interface dont they? It does
> load balancing and redundancy..?

  All of these cards use the ports as separate interfaces.  The load
balancing and redundancy features are provided by the driver only.  And
the FreeBSD driver has no such support and will only let you use the ports
as separate interfaces.

  However, I believe there is work on generic support for 802.3ad (link
aggregation).

Tom