Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:42:59 +0200
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-update "mirror" howto

Hi,

It's not really a hubs thing, but anyway, I thought I'd share my few bits...

For a long time, I pondered about upgrading my 300+ freebsd servers, and a
few months back freebsd-update seemed like the way to go...

Now, I did not want all those servers to hit the main freebsd-update
servers, so I setup a nice local "mirror" using varnish.

Varnish's configuration is there https://gist.github.com/2637602 and it
would be even better if varnish could use SRV records to define it's
backends by itself, but for now, there are a couple of shell that I have to
run whenever I feel like it to update the list.

On the servers, I (well, puppet did) updated the /etc/freebsd-update.conf
file with :
ServerName freebsd-update.absolight.net

and in my absolight.net zone, I have :
_http._tcp.freebsd-update  IN SRV  1 5 80 1.freebsd-update
1.freebsd-update           IN A    79.143.241.136

and that's about it.

The only thing, maybe is that freebsd-update doesn't honor the port field
of the SRV record, so I had to run varnishd on the 80 port, but it's not
really a problem here.

--
Mathieu Arnold