Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:58:10 +0300
From:      "Perttu Laine" <plaine@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DMA TIMEOUT

I have problem with ATA drive having DMA TIMEOUTs.
It might work day or two fine with DMA mode on but then system halts on
those dma timeout problems.

hardware is:
atapci0@pci2:5:0:       class=3D0x018085 card=3D0x4d68105a chip=3D0x4d69105=
rev=3D0x02 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor   =3D 'Promise Technology Inc'
    device   =3D 'PDC20269 Ultra133 TX2 EIDE Controller'
    class    =3D mass storage

and PDC20269 is on supported list (5.4-RELEASE).

and has one 160GB drive in it. When I first got this problem I tried change
cable, changed drive to another similar one and moved drive to different
place on card. No help. Now it has been running on PIO mode about a year
without any problems at all.

So I wonder if there actually is some problem in ata drivers and is there
maybe any fixes on those drivers in new releases? So would upgrade to 5.5 o=
6.1 help on this? upgrade from 5.3 to 5.4 didn't help...

I can actually run it on PIO-mode but sometimes DMA could give little more
speed so if you would be cool if I can get it work with DMA mode on.

--
kpn @ IRCnet