Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2012 10:41:16 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Heavy fs corruption with 9.0-RELEASE

Xin Li wrote:
> On 03/05/12 14:12, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been running a couple of system with 9.0-RELEASE since it is
> > out. All the system were installed through the standard
> > installation procedure. After unclean reboot, either crash or
> > power-failure, I get a huge amount of really bad filesystem
> > corruption (read: "silent", fs-wide, corruptions). This happens
> > with either i386 or amd64 build. Systems involved use compact flash
> > as their system permanent storage medium.
> [...]
> > I do not see this behavior when running 9.0-RELEASE on top of a
> > 7.4-RELEASE userland (including FS). I've seen this behavior on
> > various CF, so a single bad card is unlikely to be the culprit.

Various sizes & manufacturers of CF ?
Or merely CF from same source ?
If the latter, could be a batch fault.
Try CF cards from different manufacturers.
Remember though manufacturers may detect batch faults & not sell them,
they may still be sold anyway !

  Criminals exist & mislabelling happens.  eg 2 tales:

    My family once had a number of USB sticks, 1 each, (2 Gig each
    costing 50 GBP (a lot of money, but not exorbitant then) at a
    Sunday computer market in UK), most were faulty with BSD & MS,
    I wondered if they might have been rejects from manufacturer,
    scheduled for destruction, & some criminal might have `rescued'
    them from the crusher, & sold them on.)

    A German magazine (CT) reported on placebo cache chips some
    years back, chips with pins but no silicon inside.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".