Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 16:54:32 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD breaks sockets two ways...

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

	Are you sure it's failing to allocate the port?

	I had a similar problem in trying to connect to a service, but
found out that aliasing an IP didn't add the arp entry in the routing
table (local connections were failing).  If I added the arp entry by
hand, everything was happy (is IP aliasing a part of the scneario
you're describing?).

arp -s a.b.c.d 00:60:08:aa:aa:aa pub
arp -s a.b.c.e 00:60:08:aa:aa:ab pub

	A tad annoying, but it seems to work (yeah, I know about the
ethers file, but I refuse to use it).  -sc

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:43:00PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I have run into two issues, that I find really, really annoying.  This
> is in FreeBSD 4.3 and 5.x.  Bot machines are on a local (non-switched)
> segment (it works the same with a switch, but taking that out proves
> it is not the switch causing the problem).
>=20
>=20
> Primus
> ------
>=20
> The first is that when you create a socket, and bind it to a
> specific local IP address, and then connect, it fails to
> allocate an automatic port private to the socket; specifically:

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--