Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 11:31:41 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: state of current smp kernel..

Hi,

> It works on some systems, and is broken on others.  Before I brought the
> code into 2.2 I tested it on 3 boxes and it worked on all of them, but
> apparently there is enough different hardware that it's broken others.
>
> (Including boxes w/out PS/2 mice, although all of the HW I tested it on
> have PS/2 mice, maybe that's a data point.)

The symptoms I see look like the top-end of the driver is missing. Ie,
I 'see' repeatable reaction to hitting keys, usually something that looks like
a control char to the term code.  They come in pairs, the 1st from the
downstroke (switch make), and the 2nd (the repeat) on the upstroke (switch
break).

My motherboard has builtin PS/2 connector but no PS/2 mouse conected.  The
BIOS has NO manual enable for it, book claims its auto-detected and enabled.
I have never seen any indication that it is enabled or "seen" during boots.

The -current kernel (11-20) has NO problems with v 1.189, but the SMP
kernel shows these symptoms with same version of syscons.c  They first show
up at single-user mode root shell prompt.  At htis point the 2nd CPU ain't
doing much.  The biggest difference bwtween the 2 kernels is the
configurations,
ie which options are included.  Perhaps its an interaction or "code position"
problem, and not an internal syscons problem.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD