Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:39:34 +0200
From:      Daniel Smith <dks@its.uct.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Sauder-News <msauder-news@siconline.ch>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Novell

Hi,

Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> Around Yesterday, "Sauder-News" wrote :
>
> SN>  we would like to have acces to Novell's NDS thru LDAP NIS or any other way, like Solaris 2.5 via PAM does.
> SN>  anyone who have experience with access to NDS.
> SN>  We need to do authentication services for Squid Proxy and Sendmail userdatabase via Novell NDS.
>
> You could try mailing postmaster@mail.uct.ac.za
>
> They're using a Linux box with Simeon mail software to do account
> existance, password parsing and the like through NDS.

<Summary>

The setup we use consists of a stub library compiled into the application of your choice which gives an API of one
function. This function takes parameters of an enum authentication type and then a string containing
authentication-type specific parameters.

The stub opens an SSL connection to another machine which is running what, for the sake of argument, I'll call an
authentication agent. Using a basic protocol, the stub library passes the agent the "credentials" it got from the
API call and gets back a yes or no on their validity; this is passed out of the API call as a 1 or a 0.

</Summary>

<Uses of this setup>

We've hacked it this way so we can easily write the stubs in a language of choice - already got C and perl; can
move the stubs between platforms with minimum recoding; can add new authentication methods with backward
compatibility; are not tied to auth methods available on a given platform  and, most importantly, can hide the
complexities of, say, NDS authentication, or certificate chains from other programmers who want to use this system.

Thusly, we've got NDS authentication via NT boxes for IMAP on Linux; bindery authentication for perl CGI scripts on
FreeBSD and, again, NDS authentication via an apache auth module. We can bring in, say, client certificate stuff by
simply writing a new authentication agent on a suitable platform.

</Uses of this setup>

The code works happily on our production boxes but there's lots of room for improvement. I'm certain there are
similar systems already out there *shrug*  I imagine this is similar to the PAM stuff although I haven't had time
to check yet. It's certainly got similarities to kerberos.

Anyway, anyone who's got access to MSVC6; reasonable grasp of the Netware NDS API and SSL and can stand wading
through my C is welcome to contact me for a copy of the source code :-)

Cheers,

Daniel.