Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 20:30:45 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Brian Kraemer <kraemer@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD 3DNow instructions on FreeBSD

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 08:01:26AM -0800, Brian Kraemer wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>
> > No.  I submitted my code to the Seti@home folks for review,
> > they said "great, thanks!" and I've never heard anything from
> > them again.  :-(
>
> Actually, I think I read somewhere once that the SETI@home people are
> worried that if they made optimizations to their clients, their servers
> and staff would not be able to keep up with all the data pouring in at a
> faster rate. They never really expected the kind of turnout they received
> in the first place.

Sjeez. If that is true they should consider how much energy is wasted
because machines are not used to their capacity. Or alternatively the
same work could be done with less CPUs.

Really, sounds like silly reason to me.

--
Wilko Bulte 		Arnhem, The Netherlands	  - The FreeBSD Project
    			WWW : http://www.tcja.nl  http://www.freebsd.org