Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2011 12:55:10 +0200
From:      Marco =?iso-8859-1?q?Br=F6der?= <marco.broeder@gmx.eu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/158179: some packages do not fully honor -P dir option in pkg_add(1)

--nextPart3525883.hoGy8Ay3LY

On Sat July 16 2011 18:21:12 Chris Rees wrote:
> Bear in mind they should work fine if the port doesn't hardcode absolute
> paths.

Yes, they actually do! Please do not remove them, because they are not as=20
buggy as it is claimed here. I often use the -p option for testing of my=20
tinderbox -exp packages and it works fine.

A package is basically the same as an installed port - just with some=20
additional pkg meta data files all packed into a compressed tarball. If a=20
package contains hardcoded paths then the port is buggy not the package or=
=20
pkg_add. It is a general rule that ports should respect ${PREFIX}. If they =
do=20
not those ports need to be fixed.

I find it weird to think the -p / -P options should be removed from pkg_add=
=2E=20
Do not castrate the tool if some ports are buggy!

Thanks!

=2D-=20
Regards