Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:44:23 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        charlespeters@chickenbean.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cookies through a 2.2.6 gateway

> I have a 2.2.6 gateway on a network to allow users to access the Internet
> from win95.  In an attempt to install Outlook 98 through the gateway, I got
> the message that my browser did not accept cookies.
>
> Anyone familiar with this problem, and can someone point me to a resource the
> help me better understand exactly what is and is not alloed through the
> gateway.

This has nothing to do with the FreeBSD gateway. The gateway doesn't know or
care a whit about cookies, and it couldn't stop them if it wanted to (short of
stopping all www traffic). A cookie is simply a field in the HTTP header, and
your gateway doesn't go mucking around in HTTP headers.

You're getting a message that your browser "did not accept cookies." I'd take
this to mean that your browser does not accept cookies. Check your browser
settings, and change the setting that tells it not to accept cookies.

Chris Johnson