Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 02:18:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris England <stab@wildstar.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ps and uptime

Hi, I just recently started getting the follow errors:

stab@freebsd /usr/home/stab>ps
ps: bad namelist

stab@freebsd /usr/home/stab>uptime
uptime: /dev//umount: /proc: not currently mounted
: No such file or directory
12:10AM  up  2:09, 4 users, load averages: 0.11, 0.17, 0.30

I found thiss very odd.  I'm not sure what "/dev//umount" refers to, and I
have not changed anything on my system ( no recompiling kernels, no new
source ) since 3.1 came out.

However, I'm not sure if this is is related, but I was testing my system
to see if it was vulnerable to the .X11-unix exploit, where you link it to
/etc and startx.  After I discovered that it worked, I went to delete the
link, and ended up removing /etc in the process.  I had a backup tarball
of this from a few hours before hand, which I promptly retored, however
I'm not sure that it preserved links or file permissions.

Also, mount reports: procfs on /proc (local) so I just can't figure out
whats wrong.

Please send suggestions on how I can fix this.

Thanks,
		-Chris