Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:32:23 -0400
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, "T. D. Pazuzu" <pazuzu@legba.pwrtc.com>
Subject:   Re: guestgroup broken in wu.ftpd?

From: T. D. Pazuzu <pazuzu@legba.pwrtc.com>
>Does anyone know if the guestgroup capability of wu.ftpd 2.4.2-beta13 is
>supposed to work?  It doesn't on my system.  It sets the home directory
>properly, but the chroot either doesn't get executed, or somehow fails
>because I can type cd / and it's the real system root.  I was hoping to
use
>this to allow a few users to upload webpages to their home dirs, but not
be
>able to go anywhere else.

I'm not sure what's going on, but I had wu_ftpd working correctly at one
time.  Later, I dumped my system, and after re-installing wu_ftpd, I
couldn't get it to use guestgroup properly at all.

I since started using ncftpd http://www.probe.net/~mgleason/ncftpd, which
works great for restricted ftp sessions, virtual ftp servers, and virtual
ftp users (seperate passwd file even).

Best of luck,

Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services
http://www.i-Plus.net