Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 13:08:56 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        J.Kuan@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Between FreeBSD and Linux

Joseph Kuan wrote:

> I am just a normal Linux user, don't know much about how the FreeBSD and
> Linux being developed.

Both are being developed by volunteers who co-ordinate their efforts via the
net.  The Linux development methodology is more anarchic by design.

> I have read the web page, I thought Linux is an operating system by
> incoporating GNU stuff.

Not sure what you mean.  Linux is really just an OS kernel.  Add to it a
whole array of tools and utilities, and it becomes a functioning Unix-like
OS.  People have different ideas as to exactly which tools to add and how,
and hence you have a whole array of Linux "distributions", e.g. Slackware,
RedHat, etc.

> Sometimes I see some BSD directories with Linux, but I don't know what
> they for.

Although the Linux crowd seems to favour GNU software, many of the bits that
get distributed in Linux distributions can trace their roots back to the BSD
project.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878