Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 18:55:21 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        lane@dibbs.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIRTUAL MEMORY EXCEEDED during make world ...

> How do I fix that?
>
> This is my first time to "make world," 'cause, (I wanna be real
> cautious about entering into a new world), and my 486DX churned away
> for 9.75 hours on the STABLE release ... then it stopped churning and
> just sat for about an hour ... (I raked the leaves in my yard while
> my computer did most of the work, but I checked it periodically ...
> then ... nothing ... for about 1 hour)...  Then:  BOOM!
>
> as[.c] in malloc(): warning: recursive call\n
> Fatal error: virtual memory exceeded
>
> Is it possible to increase my swap partition ... and would this be of
> any use to me in this situation?  I've got about 1GIG free on /usr,
> so space isn't the problem (I don't think, anyway), it just seems
> that I don't have enough space allocated for swapping ...

No, the "virtual memory exhausted" message is a (bad) error message
from as(1).  The real error is the one above it, where as(1) has
attempted to call malloc() from a signal handler.  It may have been
trying to print an error message or something similar.

Sounds like you might have run into a pathalogical overwork case.