Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2011 00:22:16 +1100
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncman0x@gmail.com>
To:        ohauer@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/apache22: configure: error: Size of "void *" is less than size of "long"

On 19/02/11 09:02, Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2011-02-16 11:47, Andrew Sinclair wrote:
>> Configuration fails in relation to a primitive type:
>>   Size of "void *" is less than size of "long"
>>
>> As requested by script, config.log  is attached.
>> Compilation attempt 1,2 in install.txt  attached.
>> Output of attempt 2 follows:
>>
>> [ Wed Feb 16 ] [ 21:06:43 ] root@q-73-exe:/usr/ports/www/apache22
>> # (date;time make install;date)|tee -a install.txt
>> Wed Feb 16 21:07:06 CST 2011
> [...]
>> checking for void pointer length... yes
>> configure: error: Size of "void *" is less than size of "long"
> This error is strange ...
I agree, and it is indeed my doing. The problem began with trouble
understanding the freebsd-update script. This has now been resolved.

> $> cd /tmp
>
> create a file named test.c and copy the following lines into the file
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main(void)
> {
>     printf("sizeof(void *) = %d ; sizeof(long) = %d\n",
> 	sizeof(void *), sizeof(long));
>     return sizeof(void *) < sizeof(long);
> }
>

> Now build the file with the following command (note, no file extension)
> $> make test
>
> and send us the output of the following command
> $> ./test; echo $?

[[ at 8.1-RELEASE (where this error is repeatable) ]]

[ Sat Feb 19 ] [ 23:42:24 ] sync1x73@q-73-exe:~/2011/02-19
$ make test
cc -O2 -pipe   test.c  -o test

[ Sat Feb 19 ] [ 23:42:26 ] sync1x73@q-73-exe:~/2011/02-19
$ uname -a
FreeBSD q-73-exe.z.asyn1c.net 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #3
r210190: Sat Jul 17 16:30:44 PDT 2010
root@build8x64.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/storage/fbsd-sources/8.1/sys/GENERIC
amd64

[ Sat Feb 19 ] [ 23:42:28 ] sync1x73@q-73-exe:~/2011/02-19
$ ./test
sizeof(void *) = 8 ; sizeof(long) = 8

[[ at 8.2-RC3 (no longer any such error) ]]

[ Sat Feb 19 ] [ 17:03:45 ] sync1x73@q-73-exe:~/2011/02-19
$ uname -a
FreeBSD q-73-exe.z.asyn1c.net 8.2-RC3 FreeBSD 8.2-RC3 #0: Sun Jan 30
06:28:31 UTC 2011
root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

[ Sat Feb 19 ] [ 17:03:47 ] sync1x73@q-73-exe:~/2011/02-19
$ ./test
sizeof(void *) = 8 ; sizeof(long) = 8

The system is of the Intel Xeon 5000X variety

At 8.1-RELEASE, I had used portsnap only, and had not touched the kernel
or the base system sources. I was under the impression that there would
be no linking issues if only the ports collection was updated. Philip is
right, my ports and system were out of sync.