Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 09:38:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make.conf

Riccardo.Veraldi@fi.infn.it writes:

 > I wanted to change the make.conf options in:
 >
 > cc -mcup=ev56 -O3 -funroll-loops -fexpensive-optimizations -fschedule-insns2
 >
 > Can I do it safely for compiling ports ?? or d o usuggest me to use the
 > default gcc options  cc -O -pipe   only ??
 >
 > thanks
 >
 > Rick

Have you tried -O3 and seen this message?

     cc1: warning:
     ***
     ***     The -O3 flag TRIGGERS KNOWN OPTIMIZER BUGS ON THIS PLATFORM
     ***

Which part of this message do you not understand?  It seems rather
clear to me.

You can try to build something with -O3 -- The executable may work
fine, or it may crash.  It might even crash the compiler during
compilation.

So use non-standard optimization flags at your own risk.  And don't
report any "problems" you find after compiling with anything but the
standard optimization flags.

Drew