Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 09:29:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <freelist@webweaver.net>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PID killed, exceeeded maximum CPU limit...

>> Sep 25 04:45:00 test2 /kernel: pid 137 (inetd), uid 0, was killed:
>> exceeded maximum CPU limit
>
> Sounds strange. Normally there should no CPU time limit for the daemon
> processes. Please check login class "daemon" in "/etc/login.conf". The
> corresponding entry should be ":cputime=infinity:". If nothings works
> insert the line
>
> ulimit -t unlimited
>
> at the beginning of your "/etc/rc" file.
>
> But before doing that ypu should ask yourself how "inetd" has been started
> before. May be someone knowing the root password started "inetd" manually
> after problems from a shell with a CPU time limit set? Ok, the pid is
> small, so that's unlikely, but ...
>
> Konrad Heuer

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

 Inetd is started vi rc.conf as normal. I have altered login.conf lowering the
limits for defualt and set up a special group with higher limits etc for
Technical employees, however I haven't touched daemon or root and since it sais
"uid 0" I would have to assume that it was running with the process time of
root which to me is what makes it so odd. This is the second time I have seen
this type of error. Last time my qmail process quit with the same error. I
start qmail via /usr/local/etc/rc.d/script.

Perhaps it is as David Greenman suggested a clock or accounting bug. I am
running 2.2.6-RELEASE. Could it just be that I need to increase my max users
(currently 128) or some other sysctl setting? But at ~4:00 in the morning, I
don't understand what would kill inetd on this machine since the only thing
being used via inetd is the qmail pop3.

Could this be the result of a hacking attempt?

 Thanks

  Nicole

     nicole@webweaver.net  - http://www.webweaver.net/
 webmistress@dangermouse.org - http://www.dangermouse.org/