Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 18:18:08 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, drifter@stratos.net
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 27,  2:57am, Wes Peters wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> My hidden microphone recorded  (drifter@stratos.net) saying:
>
> % > Overall you are probably better for it.  In the US there are entirely too
> % many
> % > guns walking around.  Some of these kids with guns are better armed than
> % was
> %   ^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
> %
> % 	Interesting choice of words, possibly indicative of perspective?
> % 	Personification of guns, or "guns walking around", is probably
> % a phrase uttered by a gun-control advocate, whereas "criminals walking
> % around with guns" is maybe more likely to be spoken of by an NRA advocate.
>
> No, it's well known that guns walk around by themselves here in
> the USA.  Sometimes they have people attached to them, but the
> people are not responsible for any crimes committed, because the
> problem is the guns.  The people attached to the guns are just
> another class of victim.
>
> Right, Frank?

Wes, that's a baited question.  I was speaking analogously, and not taking any
position as to responsibility or victim.  So please don't put words in my
mouth. ;-)

> % 	Now, "kids walking around with guns," that's a toss-up!
>
> That would depend on the kids, and where they are walking.  Personally,
> I wouldn't send anyone out walking in Wind River Mountains without a
> rifle.  The US Park Service take all the bears that become a problem
> to people in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks and dump them
> into the north end of the Wind Rivers, which is otherwise backpackers
> mecca.  As much as I support the right of the bears to their territory,
> their right ends as soon as they try to kill me.  I'll take ME every
> time.
>
> Your mileage may vary.  If you relish the idea of being eaten by the
> local fauna, let me know.  I know where a cougar lives who is big enough
> to jump a 200-lb deer carcass onto a rock ledge 7 feet off the ground.
> I'm certain he'd enjoy eating a gun control advocate or two.  ;^)

Again, not taking any particular position on gun control, but relating my
experience with wild animals as a once avid hunter, I can say that having spent
many hours alone in the forested areas of northern Wisconsin, I never had a
problem being attacked by anaimals.  Granted the species native here differ
from those of the West.  People here had a fear of the wolf and created an
extinct species of animal which has resulted in big and growing problems with
the deer herd.  They have been re-introduced here, and I hunted in areas where
wolves were present and never had a problem.

It has been my experience that in general wild animals fear man.  That
situation can and does change if the animal is injured or starving.  Man,
supposedly, having the higher intellect should be able ot get along with
animals and survive together just fine.  Yes there are risks when a human
enters the natural habitat of an animal, but knowing what you are doing they
can be minimized without necessarily killing the animal first.

BTW, I do have experience with wildlife in other parts of the US and in other
countries.  The above pretty much holds true.

Frank