Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:15:44 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <lplist@closedsrc.org>, <jgowdy@home.com>, <kris@obsecurity.org>, <mwlist@lanfear.com>, <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Charles Burns wrote:

> >	Jeremiah has a very good point on the price/performance ratio
> >since the AMD wins a few times over the Intel's in terms of performance.
> >I know this might be offtopic but I was looking at the distributed.net rc5
> >and the AMD does 3.5 keys/sec per Mhz on the Athlon while the Intel
> >PII/PIII/Celeron's all do 3.3 keys/sec per Mhz but the PowerPC G4 does
> >like 8.1 keys/sec per Mhz which seems to smoke the Intel/AMD platforms.
> >Now, since Mac OSX is out which is based on FreeBSD even though their
> >kernel is Mach based, would a G4 400 like the Cube be more powerful than a
> >1Ghz AMD or Intel?
>
> The G4 is overall a superior processor to the Athlon, P3 and especially the
> P4, but there are more factors than that to consider.

	Hmmm, what makes the G4 actually more superior?  I know Apple
always raves about the G4 as a supercomputer and that the G4-450 can do
over 3 billion instructions per second, is there some kind of reference
that shows what the equivelent is for the Intel/AMD side?

> *If you will be using FreeBSD, you will probably be using GCC. GCC is much
> more optimized for x86 processors than G4 processors.

	True since gcc atleast is what is used for the world builds.

> *Many of the G4's PUs are optimized for efficiency rather than clockspeed.
> This does make them faster at the same clockspeed, but many times clockspeed
> ends up being more important. Quick example: The K6 processors have a VERY
> good branch prediction unit--much better than even the Athlon's--BUT--they
> were not designed with high clockspeeds in mind and were flaky at above
> around 600MHz. The G4 also has a much shorter pipeline--same story.

	You're right about the K6 since the K6 I think has a faster core
but it can't go above a certain clockspeed.  I thought the only reason the
G4 is faster tan the Athlon is because the Athlon doesn't have the 1 Meg
L2 cache that's on the G4.

> *FreeBSD is more mature on the x86 platform. I wasn't even aware of a port
> to Mac. (If there is one--I am unsure)

	FreeBSD is only available on the x86 and Alpha platforms I think.
I think Apple basically took the FreeBSD source tree and put it under
Darwin which is Mach based.

> *Distributed.net uses the FPU much more than the integer units. The G4's
> advantages in its FPU performance are greater than its advantages in integer
> performance. You won't get the same amazing results   on most applications.

	Hmmm, so I guess even applications like Adobe PhotoShop uses the
FPU more than the integer units as well since that's what Apple always
uses to compare to the Intel/AMD platform.

> If you want to go with a more exotic architecture, go with an Alpha or
> something. They are vastly superior in almost every way to the above
> mentioned processors. They are a bit pricey though.

	That's true but where can you even find a Alpha machine these days
and do they have any machines that are like compact in size?

> Note that the AMD and Intel chips aren't slower because of incompetence.
> They need to remain backwards-compatible with the 8086 instruction set and
> some of its methods of doing things. The 8086 processor sucks. It's
> architecture and design suck. They were never meant for general purpose
> computing--more for operating dishwashers and the like. The fact that they
> have advanced so far is a testament to the ingenuity of humanity--and to the
> stubbornness.
> Blame IBM. ;-)

	Hehe...  I thought the AMD/Intel were both CISC while the PowerPC
is RISC created by IBM/Motorola/Apple.  I guess until the 486, the x86
architecture was no match for workstations.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin