Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 09:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        garyj@muc.de
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XEmacs-19.15 port is bad

According to Gary Jennejohn:
> Gary Kline writes:
> >

> >PS:   If this should be a gnats-pr,  would someone clue me in on the
> >syntax so that I can issue a bug report?  Like to save others from
> >this hassle.   -gdk
> >

> Interesting is that viper mode works just fine with xemacs-19.15p7
> when invoked as "xemacs -nw". Go figure. I tried versions of xemacs
> with and without MOTIF (actually lesstif). Both fail when xemacs is
> invoked as an X app.
>
> It would probably be best to bring this to the attention of the xemacs
> developers. See comp.emacs.xemacs. I don't think the port maintainer is
> in a position to fix this himself.
>
> However, you might want to send-pr the suggestion to update the port to 20.X,
> although 20.X isn't officially released AFAIK.

	I signed up with the xemacs mailing list that I believe is
	gated to the newsgroup.  Over the weeks since installing
	v19.15p7 I've pepper (bothered?) the xemacs group with
	questions on getting the suite to work in viper-mode.
	Yesterday I posted a follow-up that the FreeBSD port was
	broken.

	There are separate builds for various Unixes: SunOS, Solaris,
	Linux, FreeBSD, &c, so it's possible that the configuration
	for FBSD is the source of the problem.  From my mail, it was
	clear that viper works for Sun and Linux at least.

	I don't understand the official position on 20.2 either.  It
	has the MULE (internationalization) support as the default
	and is huge.  It may be that the 19.X version lacks MULE and
	20.X has it.

	gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix