Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 15:40:51 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Paolo Pisati <piso@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't link kernel after recent libalias commits?

--nextPart1339918.rAV2WeRTfe

On Sunday 31 December 2006 08:04, Gleb Smirnoff wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 03:42:03AM +0100, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> (ref. P> > > > src/sys/conf/NOTES).

> P> > Shouldn't it still be possible to build a kernel with IPFW but
> without P> > LIBALIAS?  i.e. instead of a UPDATING entry you should
> just wrap the P> > libalias entry points in IPFW - or am I
> misunderstanding what you are P> > saying?
> P>
> P> with my last commit, LIBALIAS became mandatory for IPFW, and this
> adds P> 40kb (-O nocona) to my kernel size.
> P>
> P> If it's really an issue, i can change it.
>
> As I said it will be very nice if it would be still possible to build
> ipfw(4) w/o libalias. I think more people will share my opinion.

I agree.  You can either simply #ifdef-out the Libalias glue code in ipfw=20
on LIBALIAS or introduce a new option "FIREWALL_NO_ALIAS" or something to=20
have that effect.  The first would not break POLA and should be=20
preferred - IMO.  Having the module build default to "with LIBALIAS" is=20
okay to make this great feature available from a default installation,=20
but there certainly should be a way to disable it on a custom build. =20
Also a make.conf switch to disable it from the module could make sense.

=2D-=20