Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:27:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot stuck at F1 after swapping drives

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Andrew Y Ng wrote:

> Hi all, I shutdown FreeBSD and changed my harddrive and booted up
> Win2K this morning (needed Windoze for something real quick). I put
> the FreeBSD harddrive back and it wouldn't boot, it got stuck at the
> F1 boot0 prompt.  Like it couldn't find the MBR or something. How do
> I get it to boot again?
>
> This is weird. Maybe I didn't shut it down correctly this morning.

I encountered the same kind of weirdness when I was trying to build a
FreeBSD-based firewall for somebody and un-plugged my normal drive(s)
which have Windows XP and FreeBSD installed on them and then proceeded
to do a fresh FreeBSD 4.7 installation on a new lone disk.  Once
finished, it wouldn't boot.  I would get "Operating system missing"
with the standard boot sector installed, and with the boot manager
installed, it would hang after F1.  Using the install CD boot-loader,
I could unload the CD kernel and load /kernel off of the newly
installed drive and start to boot it, but it would hang immediately
after issuing 'boot'.  So, I try a completely different hard drive (a
little bigger and newer, but only a 10GB drive), do a 4.7 installation
on it, and it worked.  Then I re-installed on the same drive, and it
DIDN'T work.  Nothing changed in the BIOS or hardware, just a
re-install.  I tried re-installing over and over again with different
boot options and different ways of partitioning it.  I tried with both
4.6 and 4.7 releases, thinking maybe there was some kind of bootloader
breakage in 4.7.  No go.

What type of IDE controller are you using?  I was using a Promise 133
TX2 add-on card.  I tried the on-board ATA33 (PIIX4) controller on my
system, and encountered the same problem, though I never actually
completely removed the add-on card.  It is possible the Promise BIOS
was causing problems even though it claimed it didn't load since I
didn't have any devices attached to the card.  I racked my brain with
that problem for hours and finally gave up.  Luckily when I plugged my
regular drives back in XP and FreeBSD booted up just fine on those.

One thing I probably should have tried was to dd a bunch of zeroes
over the first few MB of the drive so that I'd be starting with a
"fresh" drive before installation.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.