Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 1998 23:30:33 -0500
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com>
To:        vic tor <vickd@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Distribution

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 07:32:39PM -0800, vic tor wrote:

> Also, I was surprised that the only CD producer of FreeBSD is Wallnut
> Creek. Common, 40 bucks for the disk. At lsl, one can purchase Linux
> (4 versions) for 7 bucks. Why not also make a deal with them ??

Your impression is incorrect.  CheapBytes, for example, sells FreeBSD
2.2.5 at a minimal cost.  From their own description (www.cheapbytes.com),
it seems that their product is considerably inferior to WC's.  Since
FreeBSD has few restrictions on its use, any company could produce
FreeBSD CD-ROMs.  Maybe you should ask you favorite vendor to do so?

There is an important point to consider, however.  Walnut Creek
CD-ROM has an excellent reputation.  I have never heard a bad word
about their customer service or efficiency.  Furthermore, they
provide resources and funding to the FreeBSD project.  You should keep
in mind that if you buy from WC, you will help FreeBSD.  If you buy
from another company, you probably won't.

I haven't dealt with WC myself yet; I have a good network connection,
and I very rarely need to do FreeBSD installs.  Also, I am a poor
student.  Heck, I just got a CD-ROM drive this summer!

In the future, should I decide to buy CD-ROMs, it will without a
doubt be from Walnut Creek.

> Well, I hope that sometime in the future you will make a cd image of
> FreeBSD available
> for download.

This suggestion has come up before.  It made sense to me, but I'm
not the one who would have to do it.

Regards,
Matthew

--