Date:      Mon, 15 May 2006 15:12:11 +0200
From:      yattaran <yattaran@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: Xorg hang on recent 6.1 build

> > I cvsuped RELENG_6 and went through the usual motions to make the world=
,
> > kernel and install them. Everything was ok until I rebooted and started
> > KDE and the x-session stopped. I could login for other computers and
> > xorg was using 97% of the cpu.
> >
> > After rebooting it 2x and using root the 2nd time and still have it
> > hang. I did a diff of GENRIC and RUBY. GENERIC had the new kbdmux
> > parameter. After I rebuilt the kernel and booted to it, I haven't had
> > any problems using the machine.
> >
> > If not adding kbdmux to the kernel config file can hang the user's
> > x-session, I think some sort of warning should be added to UPDATING.
> >
> > Kent
>
> I've had a similar problem on a machine since upgrading to RELENG_6 (now =
on
> 6.1-PRERELEASE #3). After logging in from another machine and killing the
> Xorg process the xserver restarts but I am then unable to switch to a tex=
> virtual console; monitor reports signal out of range.
>
> I was using the nvidia driver (nvidia-driver-1.0.8178_1). When I disabled=
 that
> the problem appears to be less frequent but still occurs.
>
> On a second machine on which I did a fresh install of 6 (now on 6.1-PRERE=
LEASE
> #1) I've had no problems but haven't tried the nvidia driver yet.
>
> Could it be the video hardware?
>
> I wasn't aware of kbdmux. I will see if that makes a difference.
>
> --
> Rob Whamond

I also a similar problem. After upgrading from 6.0-stable to
6.1-stable I keep getting "Out of range" when gdm/xorg starts. The
monitor then switches itself off after displaying the message for
20-30 seconds.

I've figured changing gdm_enable=3D"YES" to "NO" in /etc/rc.conf and
starting XFCE manually by running /usr/X11R6/bin/startxfce4 does the
trick, but then I get no gdm.

I did remove a lot of SCSI and RAID stuff from the kernel config file
and adding the following before compiling it:

device          atapicam
options         PERFMON
options         VESA
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE
options         ALTQ
options         ALTQ_CBQ
options         ALTQ_RED
options         ALTQ_RIO
options         ALTQ_HFSC
options         ALTQ_PRIQ

# uname -a
FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #1: Thu May 11 00:55:32 CEST 2006

I'm a bit unsure what to do now. I don't mind starting xfce4 manually,
but something's not right here.

--
yattaran