Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 19:35:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   grabber-x11.cc for vic 2.8

If someone is interested, I have done some initial work in adding
an x11-grabber to vic-2.8. Basically, I have merged grabber-meteor.cc
and some relevant files (x11-grab.c etc) from nv, and tried to make
things compile and do something useful (not understanding much of what
I have done :( ).

At this point, the code kind of works (you can have your grab window
follow the pointer) but only in BW and it is certainly full of bugs.
I need someone with more experience on these things to take over my
work and complete things (Amancio's "tv" program has benefited a lot
from this kind of cooperation).

So, the new file grabber-x11.cc is at the following URL

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/grabber-x11.cc

while diffs for main.cc (very short) are at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/main.cc.diffs

This is against vic-2.8 as distributed from ftp.ee.lbl.gov about a
couple of weeks ago. You just need to patch main.cc, add the
grabber-x11 to the list of grabbers, and rebuild vic.

Feedback appreciated!

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/