Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:27:21 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: emacs customization

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:44:58AM -0500, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Bsd Newbie <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com> types:
> > Where can I find an easy to understand tutorial or how-to that
> > describes how to customize emacs.  I want to change the colors,
> > allow text coloring for html and perl as well as indentation and
> > all that nice stuff.
>
> I don't know which emacs you are using, but Xemacs has all that
> stuff in the menus. If you don't have such in your version, you
> might try installing the xemacs port instead. Of course, how you
> customize those packages depends on which html/perl/etc. editing
> package you are using.

That is nice, and, no, FSFmacs doesn't have that.  I gave up on XEmacs
and went back to FSFmacs a while ago, but I'm having trouble
remembering why...

To the original poster:  Learn to use mode hooks, which are mentioned
in the tutorial I reference below.

> > I believe this has something to do with an .emacs or site-start.el
> > file.  I know nothing about lisp... and I simply need a quick way
> > to customize emacs to make it more conducive to what I'm doing.
>
> Considering that both .emacs and site-start.el are lisp files,
> you're going to have to learn some elisp in order to customize emacs
> using those files.

Right, although M-x customize handles quite a bit, at least in
FSFmacs 20.

> Finally, the only tutorial I've seen on configuring emacs is from
> the FreeBSD developers handbook ...

There is an extensive elisp tutorial in the gnu/emacs directory on GNU
FTP archives.  GNU also sells print copies of it along with the Elisp
manual.  I highly recommend it, with the caveat that it's written as
an absolute zero-assumption tutorial, so it will gives experienced
programmers hives until they get used to the style.

Lucas