Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 06:12:49 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@axe-inc.co.jp>
To:        acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, frode@nordahl.net
Subject:   Re: [acpi-jp 1933] Re: acpid implementation?

In message <200211092033.aa99235@salmon.maths.tcd.ie>, Ian Dowse wrote:
>I've been using the following far-from-ideal patch for a while now -
>it just supplies binary integers to /dev/acpi whenever the sleep
>state changes. The choice of encoding of data is stupid, and the
>acpiread() doesn't do blocking - I just use it in a script like

I mean just like it by the following sentence.

==
Next way is that make /dev/acpictl node that can open
exclusively and catch the power event by it, like apmd.
==

This way requires that the event reading proceess should
be only one, so we need another device node to read event.

>	while :; do
>		sleep 5
>		acpidat="`wc -c < /dev/acpi`"
>		if [ "$acpidat" -gt 0 ]; then
>			killall -HUP moused
>		fi
>	done

The options

options         PSM_HOOKRESUME          #hook the system resume event, useful
                                        #for some laptops
options         PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND   #reset the device at the resume event

will resolve your problem without the patch.
It is the problem that there are no way to pass device flags
when an ISA-like devices are probed through PnP way.
If it exist, you will not required to rebuild kernel, but
insert two lines to /boot/device.hints .