Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:38:59 +0200
From:      "Ertan Kucukoglu" <ek@kalyonbilgisayar.com.tr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ls shows hidden files when used by root

Hi all,

When I su to root or login as root from console. ls shows
hidden files, too. No matter I use "ls -a" or "ls" result
is same:

[root@escalade ~]ls
.ICEauthority           .ncrecent               a.out
.Xauthority             .pinerc                 book
.addressbook            .profile                deneme
.addressbook.lu         .prx7p0lvM
             example_footer.php
.bash_history           .prxLSQn7i
             example_head.php
.cpan                   .ssh                    ftp
.cshrc                  .twmWp73RS              lazim
.fvwm                   .twmlpE18u              mail
.history                .xinitrc                mbox
.klogin                 .xsession-errors
       muratsyslog.c
.login                  .xsmGlMH9k              nohup.out
.mozilla                .xsmKYc0tn              rbin
.mysql_history          XF86Config              sources
[root@escalade ~]ls -a
.                       .mysql_history          a.out
..                      .ncrecent               book
.ICEauthority           .pinerc                 deneme
.Xauthority             .profile
               example_footer.php
.addressbook            .prx7p0lvM
             example_head.php
.addressbook.lu         .prxLSQn7i              ftp
.bash_history           .ssh                    lazim
.cpan                   .twmWp73RS              mail
.cshrc                  .twmlpE18u              mbox
.fvwm                   .xinitrc
               muratsyslog.c
.history                .xsession-errors        nohup.out
.klogin                 .xsmGlMH9k              rbin
.login                  .xsmKYc0tn              sources
.mozilla                XF86Config
[root@escalade ~]

Is there a way to change this behaviour? I do not wish to
see hidden files as root. When I need I could always use ls
-a.

I could not find a solution in ~/.csh file and
/etc/csh.cshrc.

Regards,

--Ertan