Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:25:05 -0700
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@buffalo.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, re <re@freebsd.org>, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 Available...

On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 09:47 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-23 at 23:12 +1000, Ian Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 00:50:46 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> >
> >  > With both the doc and ports repositories now moved to SVN it has been
> >  > decided to not export the 9.1 release branch activity to CVS.  So
> >  > csup/cvsup update mechanisms are not available for updating to 9.1-RC1.
> >  > If you would like to use SVN the branch to use is releng/9.1.
> >
> > Assuming the stupid question is the one you didn't ask, just to clarify:
> > does this mean that c*sup won't work with these RCs in particular, or
> > that CVS is dead and SVN becomes mandatory from 9.1-RELEASE?
> >
> > cheers, Ian
> >

> The latter.  If you are not using FreeBSD-Update to handle the updates
> of a machine you'll need to update your source tree using SVN for
> release branches (releng/*) from now on.  Updates of the CVS repository
> will continue for the existing stable/* and head for now.  I don't think
> anything has been decided on when that will stop.

Looking in the handbook ([1]) I do not see the mechanics of how to set
up a mirror, of which I have three CVS mirrors in different
infrastructures. Is there a web page somewhere on how to set up,
synchronize, maintain, and use a local mirror?

[1]
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading.html