Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:17:42 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Musicpd-1.16_1 white noise with MP3 playback

Hi all,

I've been deluged with complaints about the dreaded white noise with
musicpd, and now I've finally reproduced it I've got a workaround:

audio_output {
        type            "oss"
        name            "My OSS Device"
        device          "/dev/dsp1"     # CHANGE THIS FOR YOUR DSP!
        format          "44100:16:2"    # optional
        mixer_type      "hardware"      # optional
        mixer_device    "/dev/mixer1"   # CHANGE THIS FOR YOUR MIXER!
        mixer_control   "PCM"           # optional
}

I'm pretty sure it is (as Max Kellerman suggested) due to 24-bit
support in musicpd; our base OSS doesn't play well with it.

I'm sorry about the delay; I've got a Xonar D2X in this computer so I
have to use ports OSS, which doesn't share this problem.

Please let me know if you still have this problem!

A 'proper' fix is in the works.

Chris