Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 14:45:18 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newest bt848 driver

Hi,

I have just put a new bt848 driver on the web page.  This version fixes
several more bugs, including yesterdays Japanese freq table.  It has
new expanded TUNER table structs to allow adding info about NTSC/PAL/SECAM
etc.  it attempts to detect the hauppauge/Temic-SECAM card on boot. it
has a tuner entry for the Temic-SECAM tuner.

http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/HomeAuto/files/bt848.970326.tar.gz

---
My edit session of the web page hung mid edit so the page is visually hosed
right now, I was attempting to put in a short program to invoke
a new ioctl(): BT848_SIGNATURE.  this will search for all the i2c devices
on the card.  hopefully this will allow use to determine which is which
during boot.  If you can, update to this latest version and run this test.
Note that it takes NO args, just type "sign".

report the test's output results along with:

 card make and model
 tuner type ie, the brand name and model on the big tin can.
 card input format, ie NTSC, PAL, SECAM, etc.
 country being used in.

----------------------------------------- cut ---------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <errno.h>

#include <machine/ioctl_meteor.h>
#include <machine/ioctl_bt848.h>

#define DEVICE	"/dev/tuner0"
#define SIZE	256

main(int ac, char **av)
{
	int		x;
        char		s[ SIZE ];
	int		tuner;
	struct eeProm	signature;
	u_char*		p;
	int		o;
	int		c;

	signature.offset = 0x01;
	signature.count = 128;

	if ((tuner = open( DEVICE, O_RDONLY)) < 0 )
		exit( 1 );

	if ( ioctl(tuner, BT848_SIGNATURE, &signature) < 0 )
		exit( 1 );

	printf( "\nsignature contents, 0x%02x thru 0x%02x:\n",
	        signature.offset,
	        (2 * ((signature.offset - 1) + signature.count)) - 1 );
	for ( p = &signature.bytes[ 0 ], x = 0; x < 16; ++x ) {
		if ( !(x & 0xf) )
			printf( "\n" );
		printf( " %02x", p[ x ] );
	}
	printf( "\n" );

	printf( "\n\ni2c device found @ \n" );
	for ( p = &signature.bytes[ 0 ], x = 0; x < 128; ++x ) {
		if ( p[ x / 8 ] & (1 << (x % 8)) ) {
			printf( " 0x%02x\n", x * 2 );
		}
	}