Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:56:52 -0700
From:      <bcraig@internetcds.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Fwd: books [was Newbie]

Thought this email from Andrew Moore, *nix guru and
member of the FreeBSD 1.0 team, might prove helpful.

[forwarded without his permission, but he's a good guy,
yadayadayada...]

----- Forwarded message from "Andrew L. Moore"
Hi Bob,

When in doubt, the O'Reilly books are usually a
safe bet.

The following recommendations are oriented towards
the bias that Web programming is the tool most worth
learning at present.

Did I ever show you the "UNIX Programming Environment"
book?  That is still the best introduction to UNIX
that I know of.  The first half of this book is a
quick read and develops a foundation onto which the
other pieces will fit much more readily.

A book on the shell of your choice, though I would
strongly recommend either the Bash shell or the Korn
shell.

Rather than get a FreeBSD-specific book, you might
first try "UNIX System Administration Handbook" by
Nemeth, Synder, et al.  This covers Linux and FreeBSD
as well as Solaris, et al.

As you know, Sendmail, DNS, Apache, Postgresql et al.
each have their own dedicated tomes.

Finally, there are lots of good CGI-scripting books
for Perl or Python or Ruby.

Rather than seek "how-to" manuals, it is worth taking
the time to seek the zen of UNIX, which is basically
this: it won't work until you understand it sufficiently
to realize that it's not what you wanted after all.
Once you've reached this state, then you're free to
start
looking for Nirvana :)
-AM

----- End forwarded message -----