Date:      15 May 2000 01:40:21 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsweb and permissions

Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net> wrote:

> I am trying to access a cvs repository with the cvsweb port on
> 4.0-STABLE but I get error messages like:

I do run private mirrors of the *BSD repositories and have set up
read-only cvsweb access to them.

> Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs checkout: Sorry, you don't
> have read/write access to the history file cvs [checkout aborted]:
> /home/cvsroot/CVSROOT/history: Permission denied write-access to the
> CVSROOT/history file if it exists.

Hmm. I don't have any CVSROOT/history files.

> The script needs to place lock files in the directory the file is in as
> well.

It doesn't here. cvsweb runs under the Apache defaults, i.e. as
nobody:nobody, and the repositories are cvsupin:cvsupin without
write permission for others.

> Regular access via cvs and cvs pserver works as expected.  Obviously I'm
> not understanding something about the setup for cvsweb.

Unless you have fiddled with your Apache configuration, CGIs run
as nobody:nobody. I haven't played with the annotation feature.