Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 19:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: ports/12915: Add elm 2.5 to ports

The following reply was made to PR ports/12915; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To: toasty@dragondata.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 14:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

 I'm working on a patch for the elm port, from 2.4ME to 2.5.

 On 02-Aug-99 toasty@dragondata.com wrote:

 > Elm 2.5 has been released, and is highly different from the 2.4 release in
 > ports.
 >
 > I tried making a simple ports template for 2.5, but having never done this
 > before, ended up over my head, after changes to elm's configure became
 > necessary.
 >
 > Elm 2.5 is available at ftp://ftp.virginia.edu/pub/elm/

 Added this to the MASTER_SITES list in the Makefile. (for 2.5.1, that is.)

 > The only problems it seems to have are:
 >
 >  It assumes -lintl is requred, which doesn't exist.
 >  It tries using 'builtin++' as the pager, which fails in configure.

 The pager part is easily fixed. I simply updated the script included with the
 port.

 As for -lintl, it does exist. It is a standard FreeBSD library:
 (18:43:19) [will@shadow ~]$ ll /usr/local/lib/libintl.a;whereis libintl
 -r--r--r--  2 root  wheel  21302 Apr  9 22:41 /usr/local/lib/libintl.a
 libintl: /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/libintl

 Unfortunately, for some reason, this doesn't work unless I add a symbolic link
 in /usr/lib for libintl.a. I must be missing something.. (but then, what about
 Kevin's system?) is there a way to add a -L${PREFIX}/lib to the compile so that
 it sees libintl.a? (Think I'll test that option in Configure where it lets you
 specify additional variables to give gcc.)

 Elm does work when the symbolic link exists in /usr/lib. (I tested the
 resulting binary.)

 My /var/run/ld-elf.so.hints contains:
 /usr/lib:/usr/lib/compat:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/mysql/:/us
 r/local/pgsql/lib:/usr/local/include:/usr/local/lib/m3/FreeBSD2:/usr/local/lib/m
 ysql

 Another note: The Configure script appears to be interactive. Why isn't
 IS_INTERACTIVE set in the port's Makefile? Or was it _not_ interactive in Elm
 2.4ME? (I wouldn't know.)

 --
 Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>