Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:21:09 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        "Francis J. Bruening" <francis.j.bruening@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: question after rebuild of kernel: config of non-existent devices

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 10:32:43PM -0700, Francis J. Bruening wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did my first "make world" & kernel rebuild. Everything seems
> to be working well, but I'm curious about some boot msgs.
>
> dmesg shows

> real memory = 128M...
> config> di zp0
>  no such device ep0
>  invalid command.. type ? for help
> config> di ze0
>
> this continues on for many devices. Strangely enough (or not
> so strangely) they seem to be the devices I commented out of the GENERIC
> kernel...

You must previously have disabled them through ``boot -c''. This
saves the settings to /boot/boot.conf and runs like an auto-answer
file for the boot time config editor. As you have not included
these in your new kernel it doesn't know what they are (``di ze0''
means "disable ze0").

BTW, don't just comment out the entries in boot.conf or you'l get
errors like:

config> # pnp 1 0 irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 5
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.

HTH

> so my question is what do I need to change to stop this behavior?
> I reread the handbook (although i admit to bloodshot eyes)what am
> I missing?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Regards,
>
> Francis Bruening

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.