Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 12:55:40 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant su

At 09:30 PM 5/10/00 -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:
>

>> I have a test box that is having problems with su.  If I do something like
>> su username
>>
>> and give it the wrong password, it just hangs
>>
>> buildbox% su mdtancsa
>> Password:
>> Sorry
>>

>> And it just hangs after the sorry.  Any ideas what might be going on ?
>>
>> 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Mon Mar  6 20:10:37 EST 2000
>>
>> 	---Mike
>
>I don't see this behaviour on either of my 3.4 machines (one machine was
>updated last week.  The other is running from a 2 m.o. cvsup), using
>descrypt on one.
>
>Define "hangs"... I.e., if this is on a local vty, can you switch to
>another?  I assume ^C/^Z don't knock it out?  Does it hang the whole box
>(can you ping/login to the machine?).  Or is su the only process that's
>hanging?  Can you do a ps -axl?  Is the box using remote passwords?
>
>Have you changed your crypt libs around lately?  Are all the links as they
>should be?  Modtimes sufficiently old?
>
>Occasionally, on virtual terminals, when a program exits on failure
>(usually after it dumps core), I don't get a prompt back, and the term
>wreaks havoc with the keyboard.  Usually I just kill the controlling shell
>and getty cleans up the mess :-)

Its something around this perhaps.

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
  1001 65053 65051   0  18  0  1372 1012 pause  Is    p4    0:00.07 -tcsh
(tcsh)
     0 65062 65053 255   4 -2  1020  648 ttywri I<+   p4    0:00.01 su

ps -auxt v0
USER   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS  TT  STAT STARTED      TIME COMMAND
root   337  0.0  0.0     0    0  v0- Z    -         0:00.00  (login)

When I physically went to the machine this morning, V0 was indeed hosed and
in a zombie state.  Is this co-incidence ?  Is there anyway to simulate
this issue so that I can see if the behaviour is repeatable ?  Would it be
because syslog is trying to write to the console and the process is getting
stuck there ?  Hmmm

Ah ha!

I just went to the machine and killed syslogd, and the problem is fixed!  I
guess su was writing to syslogd a "BAD su to root" message, but syslogd
could not write to /dev/console because the console getty was hosed on
ttyV0 and su just wait there indefinitly.

I havent thought about it enough, but is there a potential for a little
denial of service ?  At the very least, should su get stuck waiting for
syslog to do its thing like this ? I would say not, as I was locked out of
my box temporarily until I was able to physically get to it this morning
and login directly as root.

	---Mike