Date:      Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:38:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brian Szymanski" <ski@mediamatters.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   gvinum/vinum on 6.0

Howdy.

I took 6.0 for a test drive today and was disappointed to find that
vinum/gvinum are still in disarray. For example there is a man page for
vinum, but only a gvinum binary. gvinum help still lists lots of old vinum
commands that are not implemented in gvinum. Lots of basic things I try
from the gvinum prompt just tell me "not yet supported".

But most importantly, gvinum configuration (at least for a raid-5 plex)
still doesn't persist across a reboot :(

Has anyone had success with software Raid-5 under freebsd 6.0 ? If so, how
did you do it?

I've been forced, rather unhappily, to stick with 4.x and some early 5.x
releases b/c vinum is critical for me... Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Brian Szymanski
Software and Systems Developer
Media Matters for America