Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:54:05 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein?= Andreassen <zyxmaw@gmail.com>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Slave mode - FreeBSD emulate a CDROM device?

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 02:17:16PM +0100, Øystein Andreassen wrote:
> Thank you both very much!
> I use a laptop, so both a PCI card with deviceports and scsi are not
> possible.
> I might have better luck with an iPod or something simmular?
> My plan was to do a proof of concept on a PC and then move to a
> smaller device anyways. :)
> Or maybe I should just drop it. But it would be great to get rid of my
> CD case.

If you don't want to use a PC in the end then it's better to start
with specialized hardware.
Many chip vendors have high-speed USB devices for mass storage.
There are ready build but most of them are freely programmable through
an integrated microcontroller, such as the TUSB6250 or connectable to
an external microcontroller such as the ISP1582/3.
Most of the vendors have development boards with ATA and or SD-slots
and supply source code examples for mass storage.
You just need to change it in the way that it offers a CD device
instead of a harddisk and add an interface to change the logical media
stored on a bigger flash card.
Or you just swap the flash card itself.
Micro-SD are very small and cheap to get 1G sized.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd@bwct.de           info@bwct.de            support@fizon.de