Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:55:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        walcaraz@indy3.gstone.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID on FreeBSD

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> As Tom wrote...

> > > Why would 9 drives be uncomfartable?
> >
> >   Well, if you are going to making one arrray of 9 drives, write
> > performance will bad.  If you are going to making 3 arrays of 3
>
> Why? Calculating the parity takes the same overhead in both cases.

  To do a write, you will hae to read the data back from the other drives
to calculate the parity.  The more drives, the more data you have to read
back, and more i/o you have to do to complete a write.  You want to make a
tradeoff between parity storage overhead and write performance.

> What you *don't* want to do is put too many drives of the same raidset on
> a single SCSI bus. Preferably you have only one drive of each set on
> each channel. This allows a channel to die completely without loosing your
> data.

  The question was about a 9 drive setup, that presumably going to be put
into a single RAID5 array.  How would you arrange 9 drives?

> > drives each, you will end up with a lot of overhead.
> >
> >   RAID5 arrays of 5 drives is kinda of nice sweet spot.  If you go much
> > bigger, just use RAID0 over multiple RAID5.
>
> I don't agree. It *really* depends on the hardware you're using. E.g
> the company I work for (DEC) sells the HSZx0 range of controllers.
> This controller has (along with battery backup writeback cache) 6 SCSI
> device buses. The 'natural' number for that one is 6 drives.

  Yep, I knew you work DEC, and I knew you were probably baiting me.

  5 is closer to 6, than to 9.  So I guess you are closer to agreeing with
me, than with a 9 drive RAID5 array.

  I guess the HSZx0 series, is a SCSI-to-SCSI system?  Of course that
imposes certain limitations as well.

> Generally my point is that you really have to take a very close look
> to your hardware setup.
>
> Wilko
>  |   / o / /  _  Bulte email: wilko @ yedi.iaf.nl http://www.tcja.nl/~wilko
>  |/|/ / / /( (_) Arnhem, The Netherlands - Do, or do not. There is no 'try'
> ----------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net]BSD Unix  ------

Tom